The company which deals with telecommunication products and services is hiring a staff software engineer to join the team. This role is for a distributed team, who normally operates within the +8 UTC (Cebu) to +10 UTC (Sydney) time zones.
As a staff software engineer, you will help us build our telecommunications products which are being used by customers globally. We want to empower small and medium businesses to offer telecommunications products in a way that they can compete with big companies. If you are interested in working on this mission, please join us.
A staff member in our engineering team, will have the following functions:
- Responsibility for a system-wide architecture scope
- Understand problems and find solutions to business concerns
- Provide positive influence and leadership (technical initiatives) in our department
- Communicates closely with parties beyond our department to represent engineering perspectives across the organization
- Assess and provide constructive feedback to improve work results, way of work, and standards in the software department
- Effectively resolve conflicts within and outside the software group
- Develop organizational policies, standards, and guidelines for software development
- Plan and lead design and construction of strategic, large, and complex development projects
- Develops systems designs requiring introduction of new technologies or new uses for existing technologies
- Analyze patterns and trends to anticipate and prevent problems in our production systems, and advise on security, licensing, performance, and other technical aspects of our production systems
- Lead planning on infrastructure sizing and design, and maintain policies on implementing infrastructure changes in our production environment (Amazon Web Services)
- Work with product managers and technical leads to assess and develop a technology roadmap for our systems.
In addition, a software engineer, will have the following functions:
- Design, implement, and test new features in accordance to our quality standards
- Perform preventive maintenance, improvements, and refactoring on our existing code base
- Understand and model business domains that comprise our system (e.g. FAX, SMS, billing, etc.)
- Investigate and create proofs of concepts, such as in using external services, APIs, and libraries
- Monitor, maintain, and resolve problems in our production systems and support our customers’ inquiries and issues
- Maintain and develop infrastructure (e.g. set up applications, pipelines, and databases) in our staging and production environments on Amazon Web Services
As part of our distributed team, the following are expected:
- Establish a working space and infrastructure to effectively participate in a distributed environment
- Schedule work on a daily basis with a minimum of 4 hours overlap with the rest of the team
- Use a stable, high-quality Internet access for video conferencing
- Able to join a video conference during working hours
We are looking for someone with the following qualification:
- With at least the equivalent of 10 years work experience, in any programming language, in building software systems
- With experience in a technical leadership role, such as setting technical strategy and helping teams resolve complex technical issues
- Strong background in Java development for web services
- Strong knowledge in best practices for object-oriented programming (SOLID principles, etc.) and architectural, design, and code patterns
- Strong knowledge and experience in scalable database design, data modeling, and test-driven development
- Strong background and experience in using cloud services and APIs with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Administration and shell usage of Linux-based systems (CentOS, Ubuntu)
- Understanding of common Internet protocols (HTTP, DNS, etc.) and usage of networking software such as SSH and curl is an advantage.
- With strong communication skills, openness to new ideas, resourceful, and eager to continuously learn
As part of a distributed team, the following qualifications are required:
- Self-discipline and good work ethics
- Good verbal and written communication
- Good time management and ability to minimize distractions
- An environment of a sports team that is there to coach each other while being performant.
- A software engineering culture that strives to build high quality software.
- An organization of autonomous teams, exploring and trying out solutions in a safe environment.
- A place for you to learn, practice, develop yourself, and contribute to something meaningful.
- A front seat at a fast growing, global company with a lot of opportunities in software and technology with exposure in telecommunications and web.
- Flexibility and a wide array of health and well-being incentives to keep you balanced.
- An opportunity to work with some of the best and smartest people around.
- A salary range of P125,000 - P200,000 per month. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.